Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Okay here's what I want (smartphones, tablets etc.)

There's lots of speculation in the phone and tablet market for what users want. Here's what I want in a smartphone, I would buy this tomorrow at the right price (none of this is crazy tech all of this exists):

  • 300+dpi 1080p+ 4.x-low 5.x inch screen
  • 32GB-128GB memory (honestly the memory used in smart phones is so cheap, 32GB should be the budget phone size)
  • microSDXC card slot 
  • quad-core ARM-ish 1.6+Ghz processor whatever
  • 6,000 to 8,000 mAh battery (twice is thick on super thin phones means nothing if my battery lasts all week)
  • under 6oz
  • 4GB RAM
  • 10+MB backside camera, 2+MP front facing
  • Decent GPU
  • On contract <$350
Honestly, this is mostly about the battery-life. Make the freaking phone twice as thick and stuff 2x the battery in 'em and I'll still buy it.

I

DON'T

CARE 

ABOUT

THICKNESS



As a matter of fact my favorite phone was an old analog cell phone I had around 1996,1997. It was a full inch thick and I loved every second I held it. It felt substantial and gave me incredible battery life. Call quality was awesome even on old analogue cell systems. Why smartphone makers don't think there's a market for phones at least a half-inch thick is beyond my possible comprehension. Every modern smartphone I've ever purchased I bought an extended-life battery and a new back cover to deal with the extra thickness. And still I'm in sub-4000mAh territory. I don't want to think about charging my phone under heavy use for at least a few days.

It honestly doesn't matter if a phone is .5" or .12", at some point it becomes irrelevant. So long as it isn't 2-3" thick it honestly won't affect any majority of use cases.

And why the heck is smartphone storage so small? I don't get the Nexus 4 -- at all. 16GB as the maximum for a flagship phone with no SD slots is insane. It doesn't really increase the BoM all that greatly to include an SD card slot, and honestly, 16 more GB of storage shouldn't jack the BoM all that much. For goodness sakes, a class-10 64gb SD card runs <$60. Just bury that baby under the battery housing for all I care. 16GB is an embarrassment. 32GB should be absolute bottom basement and 16GB should be for the free crap phone they include when you buy a disposable burner phone at 7-11.

It's stupid, it's like phone manufacturers don't think you have access to the internet. I would buy this phone tomorrow if it existed. Yet garbage like this is the "flagship" phone from Google.

Common! Don't just try and meet and slightly exceed "industry defining" iPhone specs. Rip 'em to pieces. 

And for heck sake, sell a bluetooth enabled physical game controller attachment with a d-pad, two analogue sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, 4 face buttons, start and select + home and whatever for <$40. It's stupid that these things cost so much and are so crappy. Why is "generic bluetooth controller" with half the specs I want $90? 

And don't get me started on tablets.

No comments:

Post a Comment